Sunday, November 20, 2016

BTS Part 4: About WINGS - Tracks 10 thru 15

So... continuing on...

10. Lost

Story: This song is for the Vocal Line and was proudly written by Rap Mon. It is again about a young person expressing their thoughts, being lost between their childhood and their resistance to grow up within a harsh world. There are so many meaningful lyrics that asked questions but didn’t receive any good answers. It makes you imagine a young person really is in the middle of a desert and a raging storm. I also like the line about how ants who can't find their way keep bumping into each other but always came back home in a straight line. This is such a well-made song and one of the best among the Vocal Line’s songs that I’ve heard.

General Thoughts: The sound kind of reminds me of the Peter Pan concept from HYYH Pt.2. It also reminded me of when BTS did their reality show “Bon Voyage” when Suga “Lost my Taehyung, lost my Taehyung” on their broadcast screening. Not that Taehyung had anything to do with the song besides sing beautifully. It just reminds me of that. My buddy, Jimin, starts off the song, then Jin's part kills me in the second verse, but V's voice though [ugh, the pain]. The build-up to the chorus is phenomenal, including Kookie's high-note riffs.


11. BTS Cypher 4

Story: The Rap Line's verses express what haters have been saying since Bangtan has been around. The lines when I read them were e-ve-ry-thing. They gave the good clean message to the people who've been discrediting Bangtan, “We are here, we are working, we love ourselves and our team. Your hate speech is getting boring. Write about something new. Just try.”

General Thoughts: Rap Mon, J-Hope, and Suga did that, didn't they?! This song was Dean’s “I’m not sorry” amplified to a 1000. "Cypher 4" was executed from American trap music in Bangtan's style, using a simple strong addictive beat. Rap Mon and Suga’s last lines of their verses hit the hardest to me. J-Hope’s low rapping voice is so gorgeous, switching in between flows. He mentions 1VERSE and the big picture he sees for his mixtape. Suga can barely catch his breath while telling haters to live healthily. I mean, come on. When Rap Mon did the album review, he said he wrote his verse in 5 minutes. I read somewhere that he was reacting to people saying mean things in the comments when Jungkook was on the "Flower Crew" show. I don't how much of that is true, but if it is, Namjoon, thank you for sticking it to them. I can't wait to see them perform it.

12. Am I Wrong

Story: “Am I Wrong” has a country-twang with a pop/hip-hop flavor to it that became addictive the more I listened to it. Bangtan wonders whether they are crazy or if the world has gone crazy. Even though the lyrics seem heavy the beat and rhythms keeps to ignorant from the hard truths. Just like life can. Some of the lyrics I like are:  
     "People have fish in their hearts so they become selfish."
     "We're all dogs and pigs."
     "The fact that you’re not crazy in a crazy world is crazy."
     "If that hatred is nothing to you, You’re not normal, you’re abnormal."

I read that Suga's verse about pigs and dogs might have came from a Korean politician who used those words to represent his constituency. I wasn't sure if this was the first an idol or BTS spoke about politics within a song, but what they did is still awesome to reflect on another aspect of growing up: becoming a well-informed citizen of your government.

General Thoughts: The start of the song when I first heard it was kind of strange. Why choose to a sample of this song? The live performances and the dance sold me once again. I could teach it now, down to Hopie's extra-ness on stage. It's a very clever choreography, too. This song was supposed to reminiscent of older BTS songs. I would says it feels like any upgraded version of "Spinebreaker". I also wanted to add that Jimin's high note, body wave, and the way he says “crayjay” is the meaning of life!


Click CC for English Subs and read funny ARMY's comments.
Then read more about what's happening in South Korea now. America is not alone.

13. 21st Century Girls (21세기 소녀)

Story: There are so many “girl empowerment” songs out there and Bangtan has made their share of them. However, it’s like they took all of the things they wished they could say to A.R.M.Y and crafted it into an energizing beat. They tell girls they have to be proud of themselves, they can say yes or no, that they deserve to be loved. A lot of awful things people say can hurt girls more than the actions people do towards them. I still remember the words that 11-year-old me heard when I was just trying to live my life. To hear these lyrics now gives us courage that BTS will protect us for the evils of our disparaging thoughts.

General Thoughts: The song of the year. The message is on point. Nobody can stay pissed while listening to this. This song instantly makes you want to dance. Rap Mon said it had the same feel as "Babsae" and I agree. I am also grateful for the line distribution for the live stage so that every member could shine. Suga has taken center stage and it makes the performance so much brighter. I just want to be able to tell rude people that J-Hope has already claimed me... so back off.


14. Two! Three! (Still Wishing There Will Be Better Days) (둘! 셋! (그래도 좋은 날이 더 많기를))

Story: Our Official A.R.M.Y fan song!!! The first thing I thought when listening to this song was "I'm definitely going to cry". After all they're been through, they are still comforting us. The scandals, the controversy, the hate messages, immature fans, and fanwars. After all of hardship and struggles they've faced mentally, physically, emotionally, they appreciate A.R.M.Y.s so much that they sang such a beautiful song for us. I am annoyed that when I try not to cry everytime I listen this song, but the bridge to J-Hope verse, Jimin and Kookie's voices sound so sad and hopeful at the same time.
    "One two three
     For a better day
     Because we are
     Together"

Then Hopie's line about why he couldn't yet open up his feelings to us. He just wanted us to laugh. It gets me everytime. Namjoon is so sincere. He didn't want to lie to us and tell us everything was ok when it wasn't true, because he knows we might not trust him again. Suga took all of what anti-fans said and used it to prove that what they said was never going to be true. Look at Producer Suga now.

General Thoughts: Bangtan, I believe your words. If I ever had the privilege to see BTS near where I lived, I will cry a river. And then, all the girls and boys around me will try too and we can bond over that. If a Bangtan choir starts, we'll all cry twice as hard, singing together, holding hands with all the A.R.M.Y and trying to forget all the bad memories and start anew with them. I'll try, BTS, I'll try.


15. Interlude: Wings

Story: This is the track that was supposed to be EDM/House. I feel for a first attempt they hit it out of the ballpark, keeping with the sound of the album and the theme: the young bird is flying away from the nest. They leave that safe place of pain and longing, of insecurity and uncertainty, of love and friendship. The memories and worries they made gave them wings to fight the next fight.

General Thoughts: This is the INTERLUDE, not the OUTRO! That means there will be another album in the works, probably for next year. Just saying, it's definitely possible. I hope that one day Vocal Line would sing a full version of this song one day. Their voices were so beautiful and inviting. This is a perfect end for a roller coaster of an album in which all of the songs are expectional in their own way. I myself feel like flying when I listen to this song. I want to be this song. I want to be all the songs, honestly.



Thank you reading my thought on BTS"\'s WINGS album 2016. Stay tuned.


Video credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

No comments: