Tuesday, March 28, 2017

John Mayer - Some Thoughts about The Search for Everything

I wanna talk about how I felt about John Mayer. As much as I anticipated his new music and raved about it on my social media, I was disappointed. 

 
One question: What happened to the lyrics? 



If I wanted to listen to an instrumental, I would have turned on something in Spotify. I feel bad saying it but that's how I felt. 

John Mayer's lyrics were one of the many reasons why I fell in love with his music, flaws and all. He's a romanticist who shares stories about his ideal world. How the heck I am going to do singing to this new messiness? Many of the lyrics make no sense. It was as if a middle schooler wrote them for a poetry assignment. It's kind of sad, really, because I remember how far he came and how good he's gotten up to this point with Paradise Valley and Born and Raised.

I only like THREE songs out of the eight songs he's dropped: "Love on the Weekend", "Moving on and Getting Over", and "Helpless". Even though not every song is for everyone, there should have been more thought given to the fans who missed him. A storyline, a theme, a detailed concept, something!!! Come one buddy, you seemed so sure. And what's worse, he's done better.

I understand. I know that he worked hard composing, but I just wish his lyrics matched the hard work he gave to the music. That's it. I still love you.

The entire album drops April 14th with 4 final tracks (12 tracks in total); "In the Blood", "Theme from ‘The Search for Everything", "Rosie", and "Never on the Day You Leave." I hope that more meaningful lyrics that are also singable arise from these new songs.

Thanks for reading. Will come back soon.


[Images from johnmayer.com]


No comments: