Sunday, October 9, 2016

Been thinking about variety shows and their meanings

I think it's really funny that I watch both American and Korean variety shows regularly now. But then I started to ask myself what makes a variety show, in an entertainment context? What are the necessary ingredients?

First, I wanted to show you the types of variety shows I watch in America and by Korean television, via YouTube.

I'll start with the American TV variety shows I seen and explain why they were and are so good:

In The Last Millennia
The Carol Burnett Show
In Living Color
The Muppet Show
"Old" Saturday Night Live
Now it's not like I was born to watch all of these shows, but since then I have caught a few episode and laughed my cheeks off. These were the shows I thought made American Comedy so great and what I wish people would go back to.

The Ghost of The Past
American Idol –  season 4 to 7 (2004 - 2008)
So You Think You Can Dance - the cool seasons
The Arsenio Hall Show

American Idol used to be my shit. I learned a lot about old American classics hits, like "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrel, "Sweet Home Alabama" by Lynyrd Skynyrd and "Heaven" by Los Lonely Boys. I learned about some of my favorite artists from this show and they created some new favorite artists. It had its moments and its low moments, like the White Guys with Guitars.

Stuff I Watched Last Year
Little Big Shots
Maya & Marty
These are the shows I used to watch just a couple of months ago before they were either canceled, done for the season, or just got boring. Check out some of the performances on YouTube. Some of them were really incredible.

Shows I Still Watch
The Wendy Williams Show
Conan
The Late Show with Stephen Colbert
The Daily Show with Trevor Noah
Late Night with Seth Meyers
Last Week Tonight with John Oliver
@midnight
There are the shows I continue to watch. Most of them are late night talk shows that I watch on their respective channels apps. They're all awesome and funny. And don't care what you think about me watching Wendy. We both know she is trash but we still love it.

Coming Soon
Saturday Night Live (SNL)


Honestly, I watched the first episode this season it wasn't that good but I'm sure they can bring it back. They haven't given me a big laugh yet, so I'm waiting. Good luck!

For Korean Variety Shows, I watch:
Happy Together
Gag Concert
Hello Counselor
Weekly Idol
I love all of these shows weekly when I find time and I'm so happy that Doni is back and healthy on Weekly Idol. I can't wait for hilarity to ensue. SHINee's going to be there. Yay!


After what I've put together here... I learned that a variety in America needs to be hosted by a celebrity who can celebrities. Often times that host is a comedian and they along with the establish pace of the show add expected humor along the way. Some varieties are competition shows or talent showcases where the celebrities are the judges and the audience are the voters. Others are simply chat shows (political or gossip-based) with an acknowledged comedian helming the ship where celebrities and others in the creative industry promote their works, hence the musical act closing out the show. The most feared varieties are sketch comedies because the ones from the past were so good that people are also comparing new attempts to old punchlines. Sketch comedians have tried to live to the standards of yesteryear in an age where people were forced to be comedically immature and it breaks my heart when jokes land for me and not for others.

In Korea, I've noticed that hosts take into consideration the personality of celebrities and performers because that is what the audience is attracted to. In America, the personality is kind of glossed over almost to the point that is was nonexistent or over-exaggerated. A personality that is digestible (not oversimplified) for the people at home is good because it engages them in the speaker's life without being invasive. If you want to get invasive, then (sigh) your name with be all over the internet. (Poor Zico smh). Many of their celebrities are young people, so they take care of them while also trying to be funny for the show. It helps them open up more. As for variety competitions shows, I didn't list any because thank god they aren't yearly. I like that competition shows are company-based because companies know what they are looking for in an artist. If the artist fulfills that criteria and charms the audience, they will be a new signee, they will have established a fanbase that want to see them grow and develop under the guidance of that company. I still don't know the labels names by heart in America (I'll do my own research for those later and come back to you guys). And the competitions are shorter!!! Therefore it becomes a more fulfilling time for both the performers and the audience because we go through hell together.

Honestly, the reason why I thinking about variety shows like this is because I hope to make some entertainment for Somali audiences. So I'm learning as much as I can about the creative industries so I can use it in the future to introduce and promote Somali talent in a better way than both countries combined.

I hope you enjoy this post that took me three weeks to write. College sucks when you don't like what you're majoring in.

I'll try to write more soon. :)

image credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

No comments: