Thursday, April 20, 2017

New Artist Alert: Aminé

Ok, I'm so freaking late on this young man. This song came out last year.


But I have been obsessed over this song for more than a week now. I've been singing and dancing randomly to this.


I also love this choreography by Brian Puspos.

There had to be a reason why. And I figured it out today. 

Was it just me or did he lowkey looked Somali?

And so did his some actual real-life friends in the music video. I kept asking myself, "Why am I so attracted to this song and these boys?" That was why.

But of course, besides K'naan I haven't seen another Somali musician in a spotlight since. I watched some of his interviews and finally on Ebro from HOT 97, he explained his name, which in turn explained where he came from.

Amine is a 22 year old Ethiopian hip-hop artist, now signed formally to Republic Records. He is older than me. By a couple months, guys. What am I doing with my life? And he's cute, too.

I know I'm being superficial. 

But it just goes to show how much I crave people who are look like me in media. Any media.

Of course he is not ideal. I mean he's not trying to be anything for me. He's just making music.

He released a new music video for REDMERCEDES.

He created a world that actually made Rachel Dolezal's dreams come true. "NWACP", the (National White Association for Care and Pleasure)? I got such a kick out of that. The song goes off. Also hi, Leon Bridges. It's cool to think that they may be friends, because it's cool to think that two conscience people are working to.


What I do like about him is that he produces with his friends, directs his own music videos, and creates his own creative concepts and motifs. The music he makes is the type that is free and additive, but still has a type of structure and control. The beat, his flow, his vocal projections and whatever autotune he claims to use, were cool. He seems very dedicated to all of it. Also, he references a lot of stuff I know.

What I don't like about him are some very simple things: 

1) His favorite color is yellow. Like, why?
2) I want to show my sister these songs, but I can't because of the swearing.
3) How I still can't get over how cute he and his friends are.

I don't want to get my hopes up, but these days I don't expect much from newer artists in American music. I hold strong and fast to my heroes of the industry, like Paramore. I wish I could explain why that is someday. I'll let him fly for now and I'll just peek in once in a while to see how well he is or is not developed into a cooler artist and is wary enough to respond to the climate of the world.


Like this. This is promising.

No comments: