Saturday, March 5, 2016

About when I realized that I am a narcissist...

To be honest, learning about myself is all I have been doing since I started this blog. Which is a good thing, because now I know that I have to help myself before it can get worse.

You might think that as a introvert, there is no way you can be an ego-driven and such a thin-skinned person. But this week, as I listened to the some of recent podcasts from The Read and Cracked and as Ted Talks about narcissism kept coming up on my feed on YouTube, I put the puzzle pieces together. I am a hidden introvert narcissist.

This is nothing to make fun off. This is actually very serious, especially as a Muslim. I'm not supposed to be like this.

[As I am writing this, I know I might be furthering my point, but please bear with me. The first step in solving a problem is admitting you have one.]

Here are 7 Signs of a Covert Introvert Narcissist, as explained by Preston Ni, M.S.B.A. from psychologytoday.com.

1. Quiet Smugness/Superiority
2. Self-Absorption
3. Lack of Empathy
4. Passive-Aggressiveness
5. Highly Sensitive
6. The “Misunderstood Special Person”
7. Impersonal and Difficult Relationships

Ever since elementary school, I've remembered when someone wronged me in kindergarten. I've held grudges easily. I was always thinking that I could be better than the person sitting next to me. And even if that wasn't true, there was someone else I was better than. I thought that I deserved more than that person.

I thought it was because I was picky with people, but I have never had a friend for more than a year. I disliked it when kids said they were my friends and then went to talk to other kids.

I am highly sensitive to compliments and criticisms. I have often called myself misunderstood, but now I understand that it was just because I couldn't understand myself.

I was completely wrapped inside myself. I cringe thinking about what I have written on this blog about myself and my thoughts, justifying and contradicting myself at the time.

I realize my wrongs now and I apologize.
I will try better to stop negative thoughts.
I will become a better person to my feelings and to the people I love.

- Asma

No comments: