Monday, April 4, 2016

Female Artists I Admire and Follow




I know that I have written all about men since I've started this blog. Even though I am a woman, I tend to think like this as I am attracted to men and my bias naturally goes to them, like Avril Lavigne says. But... whenever these ladies release something new I must to check it out. I may be a little stubborn and ignore it because I love my boys so much. Eventually I will listen to it and judge myself very harshly later for not listening to them earlier.

1. Hayley Williams, Lead Songstress of Paramore



I loved Hayley since middle school, when "Misery Business". She used be my muse. I collected all of her and Paramore's photoshoots. I identified with because she was petite (5'0"+) like me and thought very deeply about the message she puts out in her songs.  Paramore's albums and her voice has gotten me through a lot of mood springs during puberty and beyond. She is working on new music. If it takes two years to come out, I will sit patiently and wait for a well-produced album.

2. Katy Perry 



I first saw her when she did "Hot and Cold" and "Waking Up In Vegas". Can girls have heart eyes for other girls? Not in a "I kissed a girl and I liked it" way but in a "I want to be her friend" way.  In KPop terms, she always has her own concept for each music video and her albums. She gets flagged a lot for cultural appropriation but so do other artists. I rock with her, even though I might be dissed too because I understand she's trying really hard to stay relevant. But, her choice in men is something I can not support. John Mayer! Even I though I love his music, I would never, ever, be with him.

3. SZA



Even though her family raised her up as Black American Muslim, I can understand that her personality couldn't stay with the faith. I initially connected with her ethereal music, while she is on the same label as Kendrick Lamar and Schoolboy Q, which was a beautiful show of how a black woman can show could be soft and melodic and sensual. SZA is a ray of sunshine. She works really hard. I'm kind of disappointed that she doesn't follow Islam anymore, but I could listen to "Julia" all day.  

4. Jessie J



Her debut, "Price Tag", has hooked my sister and I from the beginning. She has always been about body positivity and self-esteem over bullying. Then her voice really solidified itself for me when she sang with James Morrison in "Up". Oh, I listened to that song probably a hundred times. I love how every performance is a new one for her fans because she adds new runs and fresher emotions. Then "Bang Bang" came along. For me, it was kind of a revolution because I had never seen three different women come together to sing on a record that screamed of talent and girl power. I've very proud that she gained a lot of new fans with that song.

5. Ella Eyre



First of all, Ella is sooo cute. Next, her voice is like something of a dream. I found her song "Deeper" through the music video when I was surfing the VEVO app one day. I fell instantly. Her music is very dynamic and new. Jazzy and clean. Free and engaging. I then found a twist cover on one of my favorite Gym Class Heroes collaboration with my bestie in my mind, Patrick Stump, "We Have To Take Our Clothes Off". This girl not only loved the original but took the time to rewrite the song into a cleaner version, "We Don't Have To Take Our Clothes Off". I can't wait for her to become big. 

6. Kimbra



I discovered this Australian fireball through Gotye's one-hit wonder "Somebody That I Used To Know", which was a great song by the way. But I realized that the girl in the video had a music career. I found "Settle Down" and was intrigued immediately. I found that she was like Ed Sheeran, even thought he wasn't the first one to loop music, but she can too. Then... I found "Come Into My Head"! And oh my god, that song was on repeat for a straight month. She is awesome. That's it. I'm done.

7. Janelle Monáe



And I'm back with Janelle Monáe, whose train I was late for, but after I found her, I never looked back. I listened to "Tightrope" and the remix with B.O.B and Lupe Fiasco first. "Q.U.E.E.N." exposed me to the magic of Erkyah Badu. "Primetime" showed me Miguel and his gorgeousness. "Electric Lady" and "Dance Apocalyptic" made me appreciate her more like a big sister I would love. She introduced me, though further google searches, to a lot of cool black people talking about her during podcasts, older relevant hip-hop and r&b artists, and Afro-futurism. Her new project Wondaland Records brings out some new artists who are giving us a new style of music that is what I needed a long time ago in music. An Afrocentric experimental and traditional style that broadcasts black artists.

8. Sara Bareilles



My singer-songwriter phase thrived when I listened to Sara. Her debut, "Love Song", was like an anthem to me in 9th grade. The "King of Anything" and "Gonna Get over You" appealed to me her comedic side and how she chooses to use her music uplift people, especially young women. "Brave" is one of the first songs I purchased on iTunes during my second year of college where I went through depression. It helped in giving me that sort of push I needed at the time.   

9. Beyoncé 



Before people say "Why Haven't You Bowed And Given Your Allegiance To The Queen?" is because of that question. Her loyal fan base scares me a little and will avoid the hype as much as possible. But as a Virgo and an August baby, I can't help but feel some sort of connection with Beyoncé. I have watched her full concert videos on YouTube from since her solo debut more than one and I am always been impressed but her capability. As I keep watching, I am mesmerized by her stage presence, her humor, her coordination, her concentration. She really came off to me as the best performance artist since Michael Jackson respect her as such.

10. Tori Kelly



I found Tori many years ago on YouTube just passing by, but I never really checked her out. Then I saw her on VEVO with her official debut "Dear No One". I fell so hard that I found her EP "Foreword" on Spotify. Even though she has a beautiful soft voice, Tori can escalate a song to climax with flavorful, powerful runs. I would describe her to new fans as a young singer-songwriter who has carries her guitar like a third arm and has a voice that will shock you more than once. Personally, I stayed far away from her "Hollow" music video until my sister forced me to sit down and watch it. Seriously, I literally had tears in my eyes. 

11. P!nk



"So What" made me embrace P!nk for the long run. Then I realized she made "Get The Party Started" and I was like, "OK, she's awesome". Pink makes you feel like you're her best friend and that also everybody can fall for her voice, her humor, her genius. She is still a rock star, you guys. Her last album was such a jam. I'm very happy that she seems settled and working on things that she likes.

12. Adele



Hello. Yes, it's Adele. I've listened to "19" and "21" in freshman year of college. My favorite songs were "Chasing Pavement", "Rolling in the Deep", "Rumor Has It". She has a great voice, is a spectacular talent, and a riot in real life. When "Hello" came out after four freaking years, I survived three whole months on Wendy Williams jokes, SNL skits, and Muppet remakes without listening to the song or watching the music video. Then one day I "accidentally" clicked the music video on YouTube and basically I KNEW IT. I KNEW SHE WOULD SLAY ME. I can't with Adele.


I hope you listen and continue to support these fine ladies as I have done. 
Thanks. 
Until next time.


image credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 78, 910, 11, 12, 13

No comments: