Monday, January 4, 2016

A moment to talk about K'NAAN.

K'naan (Keynaan Cabdi Warsame) is a Somali-born, Canadian-raised poet, rapper, singer, and songwriter. His family immigrated to Toronto during the Somali Civil War. He debuted his first album in 2004, but I first heard him in his second album with the song "Soobax" around 2008 or 2009. I saw the the music video with my family, wondering who is this skinny Somali guy going in. He swore. We were shocked but we kept watching. Out of curiosity, I researched him and watch "The Dusty Foot Philosopher" & "ABC's" with Chubb Rock. And oh, how I danced, but also was memorized by the lyrics and their power to make people think twice.

I wanted to go through the songs I like from him the most and describe how they felt to me.


Dustyfoot cover.jpg

Soobax 
"Soobax" comes at you with legendary Somali mashxarad (celebratory cry usually performed by Somali woman) and a subtle Arabian/African fusion beat. It's an angry song talking to the people who caused Somali's civil war. The people who carried guns and used them to kill civilians.  Whether he's talking about the British, Americans, or Somalis who fought under Siad Barre, I don't know. But he tells us directly, "Somalia needs all gunmen right out the door." K'naan names all of the major Somali cities, wishing he could be under the sun instead of the [Canadian] cold. I agree wholeheartedly, living in the Northeast myself. Because of the tribal (qabiil) squabbles and prejudices, the war caused so many people, my family included, to escape the country and become refugees.

The chorus which is completely in Somali can be translated like this:

"Dadkii waa dhibteen, nagala soobax.
(You've bothered the people, so get out.)
Dhibkii waa bateen, nagala soobax.
(The problems have increased, so get out.)
Dhiigi waa qubteen, nagala soobax.
(You've spilled blood, so get out.)
Dhulkii waa gubteen, nagala soobax."
(You've burned the earth, so get out.)

The Dusty Foot Philosopher
Whenever I heard "The Dusty Foot Philosopher", I love the simultaneous feelings of sadness and excitement it gives me. The beat and the flow reminded me of Eminem "Slim Shady" and what I love about Jason Mraz. Weird, right? The visual of a K'naan wearing a robe (guntiino) and wielding a long stick roaming the desert with whistling beat behind him makes me want to make a music video. The swearing is cringe-worthy, but I heard the line about bin Laden and Donald Rumsfeld. That was good. Listen to the full version and his "uncle" mocking his rap style and asking Somali uncle questions. I laughed out loud when I listened to it yesterday.

Knaantroubadour.jpg

ABC's feat. Chubb Rock
This song brought out some awkward dancing. It had that old school 90's club vibe, with the "go, go, go" hook, but then I found that the song is sampled for Chubb Rock's song "Treat 'Em Right", which came out on 1990. Under all it, there was a deep message. First, K'naan introduces himself. Boldly and almost modestly letting you know that his raps are better than anyone else's. And it's all because he grew up in a "risky zone". He has experience. The sentiment is that in third world countries children suffer the most. He explains that the only real education children (in third world countries) learn is how a gun works. Without education, the ability to read, write, and think for themselves, they fall deeper into the temptation to follow whatever would get themselves and their families food. K'naan makes some great references toward the end of the song that made this ring true to me.

Children sing the chorus with him:

"They don't teach us the ABC's.
We play on the hard concrete.
All we got is life on the streets,
All we got is life on the streets."

Chubb's verse: I've never heard of him before this song, so instantly I was intrigued by his deep voice and how well it complemented the drop in the beat. He introduces himself as Rock, from the Salt-n-Pepa era, around the late 80's and early 90's. He's a Jamaican from Brooklyn who doesn't like ganja. "The green doesn't symbolize I made it on the top." The green meant money. He doesn't use the b word or n word because he doesn't need them to rap. He has respect women and black people. Rock spoke about how the rap game is dried up and he chose K'naan to revive it. Overall, I found him to be very cool.

Waving Flag
The fact that K'naan was perform at the World Cup 2010 opening with will.i.am made us as family watch it for the first time. "Waving Flag" was a good anthem song for all African countries, as the game was being held in South Africa. It gave me a proud feeling. Proud to be an African. Proud to be a Somali, a Lander. After a while, as my sister kept replaying the song, honestly it got boring. However, if you wait a long time and play it during a large celebratory event, I swear people will be singing along to it like it's the "Star Spangled Banner".

Fatima
After "Waving Flag", I found "Fatima" while I was searching for more music. I cried when I first listened to this song. A real tragic love story. The saxophone, trumpet, and piano didn't help. It would be cool to see this song visualized into a play.

Somalia
This song started off very traditionally, the way Somali songs harmonize. In short, if you want a short history of Somalia through personal experiences, listen to this song. I can't explain the type of psychological comfort this song give me.

K'naan - Country, God, or the Girl.jpg

Waiting Is A Drug
Another whistling tune with a sudden beat drop, like "The Dusty Foot Philosopher", that is about people are never satisfied with their present and waiting for the next best thing. His smooth echoing vocals always make me want to sing along.

My favorite lines in this song are:

"Cheers/ Then had to be 18 to make a toast beer
Couldn't have those, gotta get to heaven just to have wine," 

Because it promotes safe drinking for others, while also not because K'naan is Muslim and to stay away from alcohol in this world, the reward is to drink halal alcohol in Heaven.

"Shout out anybody named Muhammad,
Cause no lie I know about a hundred" 

Because as Somalis, Muhammad (after the Prophet p.b.u.h.) is very popular name.

70 Excuses
"70 Excuses" to me felt like he was talking about how I feel people, including me, are like sometimes. The excuses we make before, during, and after we start something. "I could have done this, if it wasn't for that." He pick at himself first, then he picks at the world, Then he ends with his significant other.

The last verse, which I love, is in Somali, which is the reason why I love it, is translated like this.

"Hilila wa la halle,
*has no meaning that I have found yet*
Qabiilkii waa la daayay. 
(Tribalism has ended.)
Dagaal la daa, Rafaad la daa,
(War has ended, The struggle is over.)
Jaceelkiiyaa waa la raaqay.
(People choose love)

K'naan was the first Somali artist I've liked and stayed with. I'm glad he's made music that tell his story and the stories of many other Somalis and that other fans can relate to it, too. I know that he's created and directing an HBO TV drama series about a jihadi recruiting program that is set in Minnesota. I was disappointed that Somalis might be portrayed badly again (Captain Phillips), but since I don't even have HBO I thought about what an awesome opportunity it would to write on that show. I'm waiting to see what type of show it will be and if people watch it. Good luck to him.

Photo Cover Art from wikipedia.org

No comments: